Thursday, December 11, 2008

December 11, 2008

So this is my first blog entry, and I want to make it special. First, I will share a little about myself. I was diagnosed gluten sensitive earlier this year. I did not go through the whole process of being tested for Celiac, but with the pain that I was feeling gluten sensitive was enough for me to stop eating gluten. Gluten is a protein found in wheat, rye, barley, and some oats. Soon after I was diagnosed we put my son on a Gluten free diet as well because he had the same symptoms as I did. However, he was also having seizures. Since he has been on the GF diet he hasn't had anymore seizures. Giving up Gluten has changed our lives. At first it was depressing. I couldn't find anything to replace the pasta that I had loved. I couldn't have yeast rolls, or pizza, or french toast. As a food lover my future with food looked pretty grim. After the initial shock had worn off, I buckled up my bootstraps and became focused on tackling the GF thing. :) I have tried many GF foods that stink, and I have spent tons of money on products just for the GF label. However, I have found a few tried and true products that are worth the money, and I have discovered some money saving tips. And the icing on the cake is I have been cooking some great food. Today I will post what I made for dinner and a recipe for it.
Macaroni Lasagna
1 box of Glutino GF macaroni noodles
1 jar of Great Value spaghetti sauce (found at Wal-Mart)
2 cups Great Value brand mozzarella cheese
2 tablespoons Great Value brand Parmesan cheese
1 lb hamburger meat
1) Cook macaroni noodles according to package directions.
2) Brown meat in a skillet, and add spaghetti sauce.
3) Drain Macaroni when done.
4) Layer in a 13 x 9 pan sauce, then noodles, then cheese, and repeat until all ingredients are used.
5) Bake in 350 F oven for 20 minutes.
Serve with a salad.
This is a great meal, and my children love it also. (Even the ones who can eat gluten)

5 comments:

  1. very interesting! Is there any health benefits to those who can eat gluten?

    This Douglas from school (in Philosophy) saying thanks for all your help in the GF conundrum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL..well I guess there would be. Brown rice is a whole food so even in pasta form it is good for you. :) Better than enriched bleached wheat flour for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds interesting might try to fit some of your recipes in my new fitness program. Thanks Heather!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds sooo good! I haven't had pasta in 4 months. I will give that a try for one of next weeks dinners.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey A,
    You can get that Glutino pasta at Food City. They don't have it at Kroger. Earth Fare may or may not have it, I'm not sure, but it is worth the money. I got a box for $3.99.

    ReplyDelete